Schools, Colleges, and Education Service Centers
From state and federal initiatives to day to day personnel issues, educational institutions at all levels face a constantly changing environment. Whether it is a student disciplinary issue or a multi-million dollar bond issue, public schools in particular need counsel well versed in all aspects of public education and local governmental law.
Underwood is proud to assist Texas public school districts and numerous community colleges and universities. Just a sampling of the services provided include:
- General and special elections
- Voting Rights Act compliance
- Student discipline issues
- Special education matters (including due process procedure)
- Personnel matters unique to the education sector
- Texas Open Meetings Act and similar statutes
- Public Information Act
- Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Eminent domain and condemnation; property acquisition
- Training of local board trustees
Several Underwood lawyers comprise our Public Education Practice Group. This includes, for example, a former general counsel to a state Regional Education Service Center and a lawyer named as a “Top Attorney” in Education Law by Fort Worth Texas magazine.
Our education lawyers are active in a variety of groups that support the delivery of education services, including the Texas Association of School Boards, Texas Council of School Attorneys, and Texas Council of Administrators of Special Education.