Tom Morris served four years in the U.S. Navy Air in World War II. After that he graduated from the University of Texas Law School in June 1946. At UT he was a member of Chancellors and Order of the Coif and served on the editorial staff of the Texas Law Review. After graduation, Mr. Morris served two years on the faculty at the University of Texas Law School teaching torts, property and legal argument and writing, and serving as faculty director of the Texas Law Review. He commenced the practice of law in Harlingen, Texas in June 1948 and moved to Amarillo in September 1949.
Since that time Mr. Morris has been primarily a litigation lawyer, covering a broad spectrum of cases, including commercial law, employment law, insurance defense, oil and gas, patents and property law competition.
His most famous case on appeal is Graham v. Deere, a major patent decision of the United States Supreme Court in 1966.
Mr. Morris was elected to Fellowship in the American College of Trial Lawyers in 1973, in 2001 he received the Chief Justice Charles L. Reynolds Lifetime Achievement Award, and in 2005 he was honored by the Texas Bar Foundation as one of five outstanding Texas lawyers with more than 50 years practice.